- When I first met this little flower, I was introduced to it as the “wishbone” Flower.
- I wasn’t very impressed. They were featured in hanging baskets in the normal Peat mixture, which if you didn’t water it daily, dried out quickly resulting in burned and crispy plants.
- I did my best to keep them watered and presentable but like me, most of the customers passed them by.
- Last year, I was looking for an annual to
- put in my deck rail basket that would tolerate shade most of the day.
- I looked at my options but didn’t really want to do Impatiens again.
- I remembered that the Torenia liked shade and decided to give it a try.
- I put three little white flowered plants in the basket along with my special mix of potting soil and kept it well watered all summer. Once it got established, it grew like crazy.
- Well, I was very happy with it.
- This year I bought eight plants of the purple and planted the basket right away.
- It filled in quickly and the heat hasn’t fazed it one bit.
- It’s defiantly my new favorite!
|Torenia fournieri ~ If you look closely, you will see a ‘wishbone’ just above the yellow. It’s also been dubbed ‘Clown Flower’. If you look at it for a bit, you’ll see a silly smiling face!|
|Unopened flower buds|
and it blooms nonstop until frost.
- Here’s some features~
- Light:Part Sun,Shade
- Soil: Average to Moist
- Plant Type:Annual
- Plant Height:8 to 12 inches tall, depending on type
- Plant Width:6-9 inches wide, depending on type
- Landscape Uses:Containers,Beds & Borders
- Special Features:Flowers, ~ Deer Resistant! ~